By Martin Giniger, D.M.D., Ms.D., Ph.D., F.I.C.D.
Valentine’s Day is the time of year when people like to show affection by gifting sugary treats to their loved ones. Whether you’re on the giving or receiving end of Valentine’s Day candy, you can celebrate the holiday in a healthier way by making dark chocolate your confection of choice. Moreover, white teeth and oral hygiene can make any Valentine's Day kiss even sweeter.
While Cupid supplies the romance, various top dental experts offer some interesting facts to consider this Valentine’s Day:
• If you think there’s no way candy could ever be beneficial for your teeth, think again. The Texas A&M Health Science Center has reported that the tannins present in cocoa beans may actually help prevent cavities by interfering with bacteria’s harmful interaction with teeth. However be aware that tannins are present more often in dark chocolates, rather than milk chocolates, giving you another great reason to choose the richer, sweet varieties.
• You don't need to worry too much about Valentine's chocolates when it comes to your teeth. Unlike hard or gummy candies, chocolate doesn't cling to your teeth and your saliva is able to wash the sugar away. But you still have to consume chocolate in moderation. Constantly eating chocolate will harm your teeth over time.
• Kissing couples can share up to 500 species of germs, including some that cause gum disease. You should brush your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes and floss once a day to eliminate bacteria that lurk between your teeth.
• Kissing itself can actually help prevent tooth decay because it stimulates saliva, which helps reduce the incidence of cavities.
• Teeth whitening may be one way to impress your favorite person and Power Swabs makes it very easy. With Power Swabs, there are no messy strips or trays and because the swabs require you to scrub your teeth you will see real results in just 5 minutes. Power Swabs even works on caps, crowns, veneers and dentures, so no matter what your dental condition is, and no matter how little time each day you have to devote to teeth whitening, Power Swabs will be the ideal choice for you.
Great smiles attract other great smiles. Pucker up, eat dark chocolate and use Power Swabs, and you will surely have the best Valentine’s Day ever!